Meditation is a great way to start the morning, wake up your mind, body, and soul, and set yourself up for a great and productive day ahead. But, how do we ensure that this meditation will be powerful and intentional enough to perform what we need it to? Well, this post will answer exactly that! We’ll look at the science behind meditation, its benefits, and the steps you should use to have a transformative meditative practice. We hope that this post benefits your morning meditative practice.
The Science Behind Meditation
There is plenty of scientific evidence to support the benefits of meditation. Frequently used to aid depression and anxiety, meditation is also a powerful tool to use in the mornings, as it gives you energy-boosting endorphins, as well as a calm and clear mind. It has also been proven to activate the parasympathetic nervous system, enhancing our breathing and oxygen intake, which leads us to feel alert, calm, and mindful.
How to Start a Morning Meditation Practice
There are many ways to have a beneficial meditation practice in the morning, and it is important to find the right one for your mind and body. However, according to Awake and Mindful, these are some great first steps to take to ensure a beneficial morning meditation practice:
- Ensure you are relaxed and comfortable.
- It’s best to get out of bed for this practice so that you leave the meditation feeling energized and ready for the day ahead.
- Be in a calm space
- If you are able to have a dedicated meditation space, this would be the most beneficial for your morning practice. However, if not, ensure that wherever you are meditating is calm and relaxing - like your bedroom!
- Be as low to the floor as possible - so that you are grounded and comfortable.
- Focus on your breathwork
- Breathwork is the core of any meditation practice. Make sure to focus on your breath throughout the morning meditation.
Try and make this morning meditation practice last for at least twenty minutes for the most benefit. Repeat every morning to set yourself up and create a powerful and transformative habit.
An Alternative Morning Meditation: Mindful Movement Practice
While you can choose to sit and meditate every morning, it might also be beneficial to add in additional movement while you meditate. This five-minute practice is from Mindful.
- Rise. Pay attention to how your body feels and moves.
- Single Knee to Chest. This movement warms up the lower back and hips.
- Dynamic Bridge. This movement warms up the spine and helps alleviate tension created while you were asleep.
- Cat/Cow. This popular yoga pose also continues to warm up the spine.
- Dynamic Mountain. This movement creates blood flow throughout your body.
- Side Sways. This movement will invigorate and energize your body.
- Seated Mindfulness Meditation. This is where you pay full attention to your breathing. It’s similar to the meditation practice listed above.
This meditation practice is powerful due to the combination of dynamic movement with powerful thought and awareness. It’s a fantastic combination to start your day with pure intention and productivity.
The Benefits of Meditation
There are many science-based benefits to meditation. In fact, while stress reduction is one of the most common reasons that people start meditating, it has also been proven to:
- Control anxiety
- Promote emotional health and boost self-esteem
- Enhance self-awareness
- Lengthen attention span
- Reduce age-related memory loss
- Improve sleep
Actively meditating in the mornings will not only set you up for the day ahead, but it may benefit you in the areas listed above, too. Meditation is truly a powerful practice. The scientific and psychological benefits of the meditation practice cannot be underestimated, particularly when practiced every morning. We thoroughly recommend starting your day with meditation: adding this 20-minute practice will give you a powerful and productive day, every day. However, sometimes it is not so easy to find the time and the energy to start practicing. The Orb is a biofeedback meditation device that can help you start. Using this friendly beautiful gadget can be a great incentive to start and provide assistance to persist. A few minutes a day holding your biofeedback ball, and your journey towards wellbeing is on.