Stress is an overwhelming emotion. It can leave us feeling frustrated, worried, angry, and so much more. Plus, stress can overflow into all aspects of our life, for example, work stresses can impact our personal life and vice versa. So, how do we reduce our stress levels? One of the ways to do this is through the practice of mindfulness. Mindfulness is extremely powerful in helping reduce our stress levels, but how? This post will explore how mindfulness reduces stress.
How Does Mindfulness Help With Stress
There are many ways in which mindfulness helps alleviate stress. These include:
- It helps us pay attention. Too often when we are stressed or overwhelmed our brains start racing. We are lost in endless worries or thoughts that can be self-destructive. However, mindfulness encourages us to pay attention to our present thoughts and the world around us. We have to be focused on that exact moment, which means our brains stop frantically overthinking and imagining scenarios.
- It provides relief. Mindfulness provides a natural curiosity and acceptance of what is happening in that present moment. The impact of mindfulness means that you develop more awareness with an open attitude. This then means that there is a greater acceptance of what is happening, as well as an improved ability to manage difficult situations while being less reactive and destructive.
- It helps with experiences. The practice of mindfulness helps us focus our intention, attention, and attitude. With time, this then leads to a fundamental shift in our perspective. Once we reach this point, we understand that we are separate from our emotions and feelings. They no longer consume us, and we are able to see the situation as it really is.
If you are facing an overwhelming or stressful situation, it might help to use the STOP method to avoid spiraling. If you find yourself about to react, try these tips:
- Slow down
- Take a breath
This practice of mindfulness can help us stop thinking before we allow our thoughts to overwhelm and consume us. We are then able to separate ourselves from the situation and calmly think of our next steps.
How Do You Practice Mindfulness Meditation?
Mindfulness meditation involves us having a deep and non-judgmental awareness of our emotions, feelings, and sensations. You can practice mindfulness meditation by:
- Take a comfortable seat in a relaxing environment.
- Pay attention to what your body is doing - how are you sitting? How does your body feel?
- Relax and simply be present at the moment.
- Focus on your breathing. Try to remain in the present moment as you listen, feel, and pay attention to your breathwork.
- When you’re ready, end the meditation. It’s simple, yet effective.
Mindfulness is a powerful tool to help with stress. By practicing these techniques you can help understand what your triggers are and approach situations in a more calm and balanced manner. Stress can be an overwhelming and scary situation, particularly if you have regular stressful situations, or are prone to more anxious or depressive episodes. Another way to help your stress management journey is to use the Reflect Orb, a relaxation device that will enhance your mindfulness practice by using data and analytics to inform you about your stress triggers. By practicing mindfulness, you can effectively manage stress better, and create a more harmonious and positive lifestyle for you.